Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Why Women Get Poor Fitness Results Part One
1. "I've tried everything and nothing works". Well amazingly we have found the first human that defies physics. The key word is 'try'. They lack consistency and quite. Fat loss and fitness works for everyone. Calories are just measurements of energy. Don't moralize them. They are neither good nor bad,.. they just are.
2. "I need to tighten the flab". There is no such thing as flab. There is muscle, fat and skin. You can flex muscle, but you can't flex fat or skin. The process is to adopt a lifestyle of optimal calories and activity to attain your goal weight. Resistance training will keep your bones and muscles strong. If you above your target weight,.. you will have body fat combined with overstretched skin hanging. This can be surgically removed.
3. "I'm always hungry, I like to eat". I like to eat too, but I don't medicate myself with food. The problem is that women tend to under eat protein. That is a problem.
As we age, we lose our muscles and it makes us act and move like the elderly. A good rule of thumb is one gram of protein for every pound of your target body weight. If you want to weigh 120 pounds, then that would indicate eating 120 grams of protein per day. In addition to the health benefits, protein is by far the most satiating of the macronutrients. You will not be, "hungry all the time".
4. "The girl at the gym told me to work my core to get a flat stomach".
The "core" is an overused term since the 90's. It involves all of the anti extension, anti flexion and anti rotation muscles of the torso. This is a whole article in and of itself. However, NO amount of direct exercise, 'burns away' fat on the tummy. We knew this in the sixties, but if you didn't know this, then you are the last person on earth to get that news.
5. "I don't want to lift weights, I'll get muscular and look like those girls in the magazines and internet". Amazing. Amazing. So let's get this straight. You jump into the athletic realm and with little or no effort, will exceed results that others have slaved over for years? One ballet lesson and you are shipped off to the Royal Ballet of London? A jog around the block and you are capable of world record times in the 100 meter dash? So by following a program of resistance training to strengthen bones, improve lipid levels, reduce blood pressure, etc. you will be instantly kidnapped and be on a movie poster with Sly, Arnold and gang for Expendables 3? How remarkable and arrogant. Women by far have the most to gain by a sound resistance training program. They can improve their looks and health with a small investment in time. They can maintain their weight and height and figure as well.
This is just a warm up. Stay tuned for Part Two.